Press-O-Fil Roll Dial Thickness Gage (Inch & Metric)
Training Surface Burnishing Tool
PRESS-O-FILM helps protect your investment in maintenance coatings
Before expensive protective coatings are applied, metal surfaces are usually cleaned by abrasive impact. Cleaned surfaces must meet agreed upon profiles for acceptable coating effectiveness and service life. But surface profiles for measurement by conventional techniques are frequently inaccessible or impossible to secure. Not for "Press-O-Film"!
Fast, Accurate Profiles with Press-O-Film
A unique replica technique and a simple snap gage (see photo) make possible accurate, low-cost blast surface profile measurements. "Press-O-Film" makes surface replicas easy to obtain and produces average maximum peak to valley readings that assure optimum blasting effectiveness. Replicas can be stored for reference when needed.
The accuracy of "Press-O-Film" measurements is due to an innovative two-level film that can produce virtually exact replicas of abrasive blast surfaces. The film is available in thickness grades that cover the most common ranges of blast profiles used in industry:
COARSE Minus: (0.5 TO 1.0 MILS / 12 TO 25 MICRONS)
COARSE: (0.8 TO 2.5 MILS / 20 TO 64 MICRONS)
X-COARSE: (1.5 TO 4.5 MILS / 38 TO 115 MICRONS)
X-COARSE PLUS: (4.6 TO 5.8 MILS / 116 TO 147 MICRONS)
Complete Press-O-Film Kits contain one Testex Thickness Gauge, one Roll Coarse Film, one Roll XCoarse Film, one Burnishing Tool, and complete instructions for use.
Key Standards and Practices
- STANDARDS GOVERNING USE OF REPLICA TAPE TO MEASURE PROFILE
- ASTM - (American Society for Testing and Materials) D 4417. Standard Test Methods for Field Measurement of Surface Profile of Blast Cleaned Steel
- NACE - International (National Association of Corrosion Engineers) RP0287: Standard Recommended Practice: Field Measurement of Surface Profile of Abrasive Blast Cleaned Steel Surfaces Using a Replica Tape
- SSPC - the Society for Protective Coatings: SSPC-SP 5, SP 6, SP 10, SP11-87T
- ISO - International Organization for Standardization: Standard ISO8503-5 Preparation of steel substrates before application of paints and related products - Surface roughness characteristics of blast-cleaned steel substrates - Part 5: Replica tape method for the determination of the profile
In cases where standards compliance is required, the full original current standard should be consulted.