R.I.P. Shield is a protective PVC rockshield that is utilized in place of select back fill.
"You gotta be Tuff-N-Nuff to bury 'em right."
R.I.P. Shield is the only rock shield product in the industry with a built-in "hinge" to allow it to conform around small inch distribution lines. Convenient 60-foot rolls make RIP Shield ideal for natural gas distribution, cable and fiber optic lines 2" diameter or smaller.
The R.I.P. Shield Advantage
- Can eliminate the need for select back fill.
- Insures a full protective encirclement for PE gas mains and services, water and sewer piping, triplex electrical cable, coaxial cable, and fiber optic conduit.
- Protects the carrier pipe from rock migration and soil erosion sometimes associated with select back fill.
- Maintains consistent and uniform installations.
- Reduces the cost of installation.
- Increases productivity.
- Reduces waste (excess select fill material).
- Provides an insulator between carrier pipe and tracer wire.
- Prevents damage to pipe / cable surface resulting from hand excavation.
Why should I use R.I.P. Shield?
- Easy to install: Flexible, no need for strapping.
- Easily removed for future tie-ins and repairs.
- Porous. Does not trap water.
- Product design easily supports double wrapping should extra protection be required.
- Ideal for URD (Underground Residential Development) / Common Trenching.
- Eliminates environmental concerns resulting from off-site disposal of excavated spoil.
- Convenient size rolls.
R.l.P. Shield for up to 2" O.D. Carrier
- 11 mm thick PVC strand extruded.
- Patented mesh design.
- Standard roll length: 60 ft
- Standard roll diameter: 24"
- Standard roll weight: 0.825 lb per square foot / 50 lbs per roll.
- Impact Strength per ASTM G14: A load of 200 pst reached a maximum penetration of roughly 50% within 48 hours at 75°F.
- Compressive Strength per ASTM D1621: 90 psi @ 50% deformation.
- Exceeds standards per ASTM B395: 0.010" maximum permanent deformation @ 111 psi.
- Color: Third party identification per international industry color code standards (Gas/Oil: Yellow, Electric: Red, Telecommunications & Cable TV: Orange, Water: Blue, Sewer: Green)
R.I.P. Shield vs. Select Fill
- Tuff-N-Nuff / R.I.P. Shield = 95% material cost / 5% labor (average installation time for a 60' service - 10-15 minutes).
- Select Fill = ± 40% material cost / ± 60% other (labor, equipment, etc.)
Why use R.I.P. Shield instead of large diameter casing?
- Should the carrier ever leak, the casing will transfer the gas away from its point of origin. Inherent problems are created as a result of gas leak migration. (Gas Industry).
- Must insert carrier into casing prior to service connection.
- Must ensure the casing is watertight. Should water penetrate the annular space and freeze, the carrier pipe could potentially be squeezed and restrict the flow of gas. (Gas Industry).
- Removal of PE casing for tie-ins or repairs can be difficult and potentially damaging to carrier pipe. (Gas Industry).
- Handling of casing reduces the amount of carrier pipe the service crew can haul.