Designed by corrosion engineers, the Nu-Bolt assembly combines the half-round I-Rod support with a modified pipe U-bolt. A variety of corrosion-resistant treatments provide reliable, long-term service in the harsh operating environments associated with offshore oil and gas production and coastal process facilities.Polyshrink
is applied over the shank of the Nu-Bolt to protect the paint system during installation. Polyshrink is not designed to protect the Nu-Bolt. The material is a cross linked, high-compressive-strength, UV-stable polyolefin. It can remain in service in temperatures up to 230 °F (110 °C).Coatings
- The Nu-Bolt is available in 316 SS or carbon steel with one of two coatings: Hot-dip galvanized or SermaGard®. SermaGard is a corrosion-resistant coating reliable in even the harshest offshore conditions.Half-round I-Rod support
- The standard I-Rod material works extremely well for most process piping conditions. In situations with extreme operating temperatures, Deepwater can substitute the more resistant I-Rod HT material.
I-Rod® is a high-strength thermoplastic rod in a half round configuration. I-Rod is inserted so the round surface interfaces with the pipe.The half round profile:
- Minimizes contact crevice, and thus eliminates moisture retention.
- Provides a standoff between the pipe and support, and thus:
- Insulates electrically.
- Improves maintainability.
- Improves inspectability.
The high-strength thermoplastic material also:
- Provides excellent compressive strength.
- Is UV stable.
- Has a low friction coefficient, which assists in pipe fitting when used as a beam dressing, and reduces coating damage during new construction.
When used independently as a beam dressing, I-Rod® is typically supplied in 5’ and 10’ lengths.
Key design points
The I-Rod's half-round shape minimizes contact between the pipe and the support, eliminating the crevice. Keeping water out minimizes corrosion.
The Nu-Bolt assembly provides an electrically isolated stand-off between the pipe and the supporting beam or saddle clamp. This allows for easy maintenance and inspection, while preventing galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (the pipe and support).
I-Rod also has excellent compressive strength and a very low friction coefficient. Nu-Bolt assemblies have been in continuous operation since 1989 with no reported failures.