Impressed current cathodic protection anodes are available in optional metal canisters for installation where conventional hole loading methods may not be practical. Farwest anode canister assemblies are made from 26-gauge galvanized steel. The assembly includes calcined petroleum coke breeze backfill (several choices are available), an anode centering device, galvanized steel end plugs (6" and larger canisters), and a lifting bail to ease installation.
Farwest utilizes a galvanized steel end plug as opposed to a plywood end plug. Doing so ensures that the end plug will not split and that the coke breeze backfill is sealed inside the canister.
Farwest recommends that at least 12" of coke breeze backfill coverage be installed over the ends of the anode. Therefore, a 60" anode should be installed in an 84" long canister.
Once at the jobsite and just prior to installation into the ground, it is suggested that small holes or slots be cut into the steel canister to allow any available groundwater into the canister. Care should be taken when cutting these hole or slots to avoid damage to the anode or anode cable.
When ordering a canister assembly, please specify:
- Diameter and length of anode canister:
- Standard canister diameters are 3", 4", 6", 8" and 10"
- Canister lengths can vary as needed
- Type of impressed current anode (graphite, cast iron, MMO, etc.)
- Anode cable size, insulation type and length
- Coke breeze backfill type.
- Asbury 218-L is suggested for large-diameter anodes such as graphite.
- Loresco SC-3 is suggested for small-diameter anodes such as MMO.
- Other special customer requirements.